Saturday, September 13, 2008

My little friend


When I first arrived here in the spring, I was awakened and disturbed several times by alot of scurrying in the roof of my cabin. I just knew that it was something awful that would get in one of the teeny holes and jump on me in the night. Or it was a pine martin that would make a TERRIBLE mess of the place. So last week or so, I started hearing the noise again, along with some other strange ones. I finally discovered that it was just a little squirrel. He has been busily storing his winter food in the ceiling. He will spend all day jumping from the tree outside to the railing of the steps to a little hole under the roof, carrying his pine cones.

Some days, he spends half the day dropping the cones out of the tree onto the roof. Then he stores them away. He makes a terrible mess, but at least it is outside.

I have left him some cashews and he never saves them. He eats them right away. He has gotten used to me being around and doesn't get too excited when I go in and out. Hope he has enough for a long winter. I bribed him with a cashew to sit still long enough for a photo op. (Notice how well focused the car is behind him. When I figure out how to fix that I will get a better picture. Maybe my smart children need to give me photo lessons.)

2 comments:

Colleen Donovan said...

He's cute! I wish I lived in a cabin in the woods...

It snowed on the 1st?? Holy crap!
i was talking to a guy at the wedding I did today who lives in Colfax. He said that they had had frost 11 months out of the last year. July was the only month it didn't frost at all. Yuck. I keep hearing 'It's the end of the world, and we know it.... and I feel fine!!'

hehehehe. Love you!!

Lisa F said...

He is a cute little friend! I want to move back to somewhere that it snows again! It's too hot here! Hope you enjoy the rest of your time there!